Access Statement for Kersbrook Guest Accommodation Lyme Regis
We aim to cater for the needs of all who visit the Kersbrook. The Kersbrook is a Grade II listed building built in 1789 and whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some period features which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. Lyme Regis has step hills and we are located 300m from the sea on a hill and have rooms at different levels, therefore we have steps into the Kersbrook or ramped access. Some ceilings are fairly low with exposed wooden roof beams and are of typical cottage proportions and not suitable for wheelchair users. However, we have 12 guest bedrooms, 4 of which are on the ground floor and one of these rooms is a family room which is close to the front entrance and is wheelchair accessible. The toilet & shower are ensuite and the shower has a low profile shower tray and grab rail. The 6 other bedrooms are all on the first floor level and 2 more are on second floor level.
• We are located in Pound Road just off the town centre of Lyme Regis. Our location is peaceful but not remote and has reasonable public transport access.
• The nearest shops are approximately 200m away.
• The nearest bus stop is 75m. Buses only run hourly and the service stops in the evening.
• The nearest railway station is Axminster which is approximately 5 miles away. Taxis are usually available at the station.
• There are several local taxi companies which we can recommend to you.
• We have 1 dog and regret that we are therefore unable to
accommodate any pets. • Our website www.kersbrook.co.uk provides pictures of our accommodation and further information about the services we provide.
• You can contact us by telephone, e-mail or in writing. Please see the contact Information section of this document for full details.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• Please advise us of your anticipated arrival time if after 6pm so that we can be sure to welcome you.
• To ensure your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not normally arrive before 2pm. Earlier arrival may, however, be perfectly possible so please ask.
• Parking is on a near level car park within the Kersbrook premises beyond the walled garden 30 m from the main garden entrance. Please park within the marked parking bays.
• We are happy to offer assistance with luggage if needed.
Main Entrance, Reception Area
• From the Car Park and garden side of the house there are 6 steps of 8 inches down from the car park with assisting hand rail, a short sloping garden path with hand rail and 3 smaller steps and a further 3, 8 inch steps down to the garden door, with no hand rail for the last step. A near level and ramped access can be taken to the garden door if passengers alight at the bottom of the drive way and follow the path past the kitchen building, before driving up the slope to the car park. The front door is normally locked and fronts onto Pound Road which has two steps and no hand rail. Please knock or ring the front door bell on your arrival from here, or if after parking come in the garden door entrance and into the reception which is signed.
Public Areas – Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
• The Kersbrook has a spacious lounge, licensed bar, dinning room with public areas and corridors all carpeted and lead to bedrooms on the ground floor. The stairs lead to a first floor landing with further bedrooms and then more stairs to a landing and two second floor bedrooms.
• There is a small step down with hand rail from the guest lounge into the dining room.There is a door from the hallway at the bottom of the stairs which leads into the public garden and patio areas.
• The Kersbrook is centrally heated throughout but temperatures can be adjusted in each room to suit individual requirements.
Public Areas – Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
• 11 bedrooms are en-suite, 1 bedroom is with a private bathroom. There is no public WC available.
• Breakfast is served in our dining room on the ground floor and is accessed from our guest lounge area. The entry is down two steps and there is a hand rail the door width is 80cm. There are 11tables each seating 2 or 4 people. A high chair is available if required.
• Breakfast is served to order and Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and all other diets can be catered for.
• There are no public toilets only those in the ensuite
bathrooms for each room.
Restaurant / Dining Room & Bar area
• Guests are welcome to use the lounge and garden at any time. The bar area maybe locked in the evenings.
• The guest lounge has two sofas, straight back chairs and window seat.
• A selection of local information, maps, magazines, papers and board games are available in the lounge.
• Breakfast is served in the ground floor dining room from 8.15-10.15am or earlier on request.
• We have a licensed bar.
• Laundry facilities are not available on the premises but there is a launderette within a 10 minute walking distance in Pooles Court.
• We have a large garden with lawns, patio areas and flower beds.
• Guests are very welcome to enjoy our garden at all times.
• There is a patio outside the garden door which can be accessed by climbing one step or a small ramped acess, a further 3 steps to access the lawns.
• Sun loungers and garden table and chairs are available for guests.
• There is central heating throughout the house. The temperature of each guest bedroom is controlled by thermostatic controls on the radiators. The beds are made with blanketts and egyptian cotton sheets. Spare blankets are in the wardrobe of each room or available on request.
• Each bedroom has a hospitality tray with tea, coffee, hot chocolate and milk. In each room there is a hair dryer, a clock radio and a combi-TV with remote control. Each room has storage space which usually consists of a wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside cabinet.
• Average bed-height is 58cm; average width of doorways (room entrance) is 80cm (some are much larger !). In en-suite facilities the shower ensuite doorways average width is 80cm, average WC height is 40cm; average height of wash-basins is 80cm.
• Guest bedroom No.1 is an en-suite family room (aprox 6mX5m) on the ground floor with 1 double bed and 1 single bed and room for an extra bed if needed. The entrance doorway is 90cm wide; bed heights 56cm; en-suite shower with low profile tray is very large and has a sliding door with 80cm wide access, there is a grab rail fitted to access the shower. There is a window seat and chair in the room, a high back chair is available on request. We have found that this room is suitable for any guest with a wheel-chair and we have followed suggestions from the county council disabled access officer where reasonably possible to improve this.
On the first floor Rooms 9+10 which are double rooms, do have three steps down to a landing and accesss into rooms. Room 10 also has a step in the bedroom and to access the bathroom.
Grounds and Gardens
• The Kersbrook has delightful picturesque mature gardens which we encourage you to use to relax in and enjoy!
• The Kersbrook is fully compliant with the current Fire Safety standards for public accommodation.
• In the event of a fire a fire alarm will sound and light emitting beacons will flash. Please advise us if you have a hearing impairment and might not hear this.
• The building can be evacuated via the front door or garden door at the bottom of the guest stairs. In an emergency there is also an exit via our kitchen which is throught the bar reception area.
• We do not permit smoking in the house but you may smoke in our garden. Please request and ash tray.
• We are happy to cater for special diets or any particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us of these before your arrival.
• We are happy to refrigerate any medication.
• Mobile phone reception at the Kersbrook is generally ok but in some of the surrounding area there is no signal.
Telephone: 01297 442596
Local accessible taxi numbers: Matts Cabs – 01297 442222
• Plans for further family accommodation are in hand with the local planning authority.
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01297442596 or email firstname.lastname@example.org